First of all, the shape of the diamond should never be confused with the cut. These are two different things. If you have bought diamonds before, you must be familiar with the FOUR C’s (Color, Clarity, Cut, and Carat). People go to the stores of diamond jewelers with a shape in mind. Diamonds are commonly bought for wedding rings, engagement rings, anniversary rings etc.
Any shape that is pointy is prone to damage. Diamonds are definitely tough but they are not unbreakable. When you are looking at diamonds, try to examine an individual piece at a time. Don’t examine all of them together. It is easier to tell the quality of a diamond before it is set into a ring.
Shapes other than round are prone to damage. If you have chosen a round brilliant shape for your diamond engagement rings, you will reap many benefits such as:
- A better range of options to choose from, since most diamonds are cut into a round brilliant shape
- Always in vogue
- Looks stunning, more sparkly than other shapes
- Larger number of settings available
- Less prone to damage
- More durable because no corners are there to chip or roughen
Cutting methods have improved so much that today, even the return of light, refraction and reflection can be measured. In fact, there are some parameters within which, some jewelers can create a perfect cut. These cuts can differ slightly from one to another but if you take a closer look at one of these cuts and compare that to a round brilliant diamond, you will notice amazing differences.
However, not everything is hunky-dory about round brilliant diamonds. There are some disadvantages such as:
- They are more expensive than other shapes
- They are everywhere, they are most common shape
Oval Cut Diamond
Oval-shaped diamonds also look great; in fact they look bigger than round brilliant even if it has the same carat weight.
Benefits of the oval shape are:
- They are available at a cheaper price with most diamond jewelers.
- Oval shape looks great on mature and self-confident women
- Customization available
Disadvantages of the oval shape:
- They have areas that do not reflect light
- Fewer choices to pick from.
Marquise Shape Diamond
Another shape that deserves a mention here is Marquise. The Marquise diamond comes with a lot of advantages such as:
- Available at reasonable prices due to less popularity of the smaller size
- If set on its side, the Marquise looks extra cool and chic
- Looks stunning on long fingers
Like all other shapes being discussed here, the Marquise diamond comes with some cons as well. These are:
- They are considered to be old fashioned since they were in vogue in the 1960’s
- The two pointy ends increase their chances of damage
Trilliant Shape Diamond
Trilliant is basically triangular shape. Their advantages include:
- They look large
- They are relatively inexpensive when they are not part of a pair.
Cons of the trilliant shape diamonds include:
- Difficult to find a good setting that would look good as well protect the diamond
- If not cleaned regularly, it attracts a lot of dirt
- Very prone to damage
Now that you know about many of the common shapes of diamonds, you will have more options to choose from when buying diamond engagement rings . Why should you stick to traditional shapes? It’s your engagement after all. You are free to experiment.
This article discusses different shapes of diamonds at length. When you go to reputable diamond jewelers to buy your diamond engagement rings in the information provided here will be of help.